To test out new features and performance, I needed a bigger map. I used the random dungeon generator at DonjonÂ to create a modest 46 square x 58 square dungeon.
I learned a few things from this test (other than I need to replace the cyan ink in my printer). The first is that drawing the terrain on top of a 2D map looks like good solution. The map is broken up into a grid that matches terrain, so any part of the map can be hidden. Iâ€™m still leaning towards revealing only portions of the map that the player has seen as the default behavior.
And second, I canâ€™t write the level editor soon enough. The levels are currently stored in a text file, which has worked up to this point. Inputting larger maps, however, is a tedious exercise in data entry.